• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rotax 503 - engine miss during climb out - video

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmatt

I was practicing short take offs and landings. On the first take off shown in the video, at about 300 ft AGL, the engine temporarily loses power.

Watch my hand as it happens. I'm pretty sure that I was manipulating the radio PTT switch located on the throttle and moved the throttle slightly to the rear which may have caused the engine to reduce power. I immediately opened the throttle fully which had no remarkable response. I closed the throttle and re-opened it which then produced full power. I'm wondering if I simply advanced the throttle too quickly the first time which caused the mixture to be too rich for a second.

As a precaution, even though the engine seemed to be operating properly again, I closed the throttle and landed on the remaining runway.

Between the first and second take off, I do a full engine run up (not shown in the video). Everything seems satisfactory and so I perform another short take off and landing. The engine runs fine with all parameters indicating within normal operating limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txyxFZAH3oM

Thoughts? Opinions? Theories?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back