• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Any Body running straight 100LL in there 2 Stroke?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armilite

Any Body running straight 100LL in there 2 Stroke? I was told by Rotax Rick over a year ago, that he had inspected two Rotax 582UL's that had about 400hrs each on them, both running straight 100LL, and didn't see anything wrong with them when inspected, other than the Piston Tops, were a different color than normal. Racers run 100-108 Race Gas all the time in Sleds.

It makes me wonder, when for many years, Ethanol has been out now for 25+ years, Rotax said No Alcohol, but now 10% is OK! They say, No 100LL, but then the Rotax Engine Rep at Oshkosh, says the #1 Killer of Rotax's, is Detonation. They say ALL Rotax's need 91+ Octane, when No Airport sells 91 Octane, at least in a 50 mile radius of me. You can't hardly find 91 any more, at the station, without 10% Ethanol in it. Rotax's have always used High Compression in their UL Engines, 9.6, 10.8, 11.5, 11.8. My New 1979 Chevy with a 350 4 Barrel and 9.5cr, built for 87 Octane, knocked when passing a car on 87 Octane, but ran just fine, on 90/91 10% Ethanol. So I ran nothing but that. I put 359,000+ miles on that car, before it spun a Rod Bearing. Changed the Oil every 3000 miles.

So, I wonder, if Rotax, has been honest with us, to make more $$$ on repairs, caused by Detonation, from People using Old, Bad, Cheap Low Octane Gas. Were our own worse enemy! Pump Gas can loose two points in Octane, in just 2 weeks. 100LL has a 5 year shelf life.

All Hirth's with a 1000hr TBO, and Simonini's with a 600hr TBO, today use 9.5cr in all of their engines, with a 50:1 Oil Ratio.

Something to think about!

Rich

Back