• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Over voltage on Rotax 503

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmatt

So I fried all of my avionics yesterday - the intercom, an ICOM A6, and a Stratomaster E1 digital engine display. Turns out that the engine is producing way too many volts. At what sounded like 4000 RPM (can't know for sure since my E1 is dead) it was putting out over 20 volts. I assume this is not normal.

Is this an easy fix? Do I need to buy a replacement generator or something? If you can help, please bear in mind that I know next to nothing about the 503 so please use small words and simple instructions.

It's an older points ignition 503, not the newer DCDI. Don't know if it makes a difference or not.

Thanks in advance!

Back