• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sorry its not an a/c engine question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickjaxe

Hi guys please forgive me but I cant get an answer to this question and I know you guys are very knowledgeable on the subject of 2 stroke engines.

Ok I have just bought my first ever motor cycle...its a British BSA Bantam 1968 fitted with a BSA own make of 175cc air cooled single cylinder engine.

They used this engine for quite a few years before mine....BSA recommend in the handbook 25-1 oil/petrol mix using oil from the 1960s.

The Rotax 503 I use on my ultralight a/c runs happily on 50/1 premix at 5000rpm for hours on end.

My question...The BSA engine is quite smoky at 25/1...so I am wondering what you guys think about running it on the same 50/1 fuel I put in my 503 with its modern semi synthetic oil.

I have had a quick test drive and its almost smoke free...but I am worried about damage...but to my mind the rotax prob runs at a much more tight spec and is prob more stressed than the BSA engine.

Back