• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Electronic Ignition Amplifier or HEI Ignitor for Kawasaki 440a

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fly_boy_bc

Actually I have a Kawasaki TA400 but nobody has ever heard of that engine!

It has points, coil and condenser. I have been reading/researching two ways to retrofit electronic ignition to this engine.

K2543: Electronic Ignition Amplifier kit QKits Electronic Kits: K2543, Electronic Ignition Amplifier kit
and:
GM HEI Ignitor for Points General Motors HEI Ignition Module For Points

The page on the HEI shows how to install the unit such that if the HEI fails the switch will restore the points to normal operation. I believe the Velleman kit could be wired in the same way. The benefit there is ALMOST duel ignition redundancy and the ability to start the engine on the normal points system and switch to HEI after starting. (electronic ignitions are harder to start because they need higher RPMs to begin sparking).

Just looking for some critique of these systems. Which one would you use? Or someting else? The idea of only sending 12v throught the points thereby elinimating the high V dischage at the points is very appealing! Much longer life and very infrequent adjustment.

Does anyone see any problems with going this route?

Gary B in BC rebuilding FFP-101 to look like a 202 so it is my 101.02!

Back