• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Care and Feeding of the Rotax

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speak2joe

Moderator Note: I've forked this discussion off from the "Rotax Rick" thread, as it was moving into a more-general discussion of Rotax care, and away from the topic of that thread.

-----------------

I should clarify a couple of things. I agree with the moderator that more people will have success with Rotax Rick than failures. My Crank got switched out on the first rebuild. The second rebuild that was supposed to happen never did...only my head gasket was replaced (despite an agreement to rebuild the whole engine.) Before I sent Rick my engine for the first time, I tried to research him...and I actually read this precise thread. Most had positive things to say about Rick and thus I placed my trust in him. However after my bad experience I delved a lot deeper and found that there are indeed legitimate negative reviews of his work. I am merely trying to add balance...my claims are highly supportable and factual. The reason I know that this engine failure was not preventable is that Rick provides his customers with an extensive...incredibly extensive list of suggestions to avoid seizure. I had never taken such steps before with my other 12 odd Rotax engines. If following Rick's twenty step plan for engine care cannot keep an engine from dying...nothing would have. Compared to how I treated previous engines, I should have won engine-mother of the year award. And by the way, to answer bmcj...I flew that engine, even though I didn't trust it, after multiple calls to Rick in which he stated such things as: "I"m so sure that engine will never quit...I'll give you 1500 cash if it does even one time." and "I'm 100% confident in that engine and I wouldnt' hesitate to fly over the gulf of Mexico with my little granddaughter with that engine." Admittedly in retroseptct I feel stupid for listening to that...but Rick was convincingly sincere sounding on the phone and he does know more about engines than me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back