• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tuning the DCDI 503

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvsimons

I have an Avid Flyer with an inverted 503 Rotax DCDI engine with a 2.58 to 1 gear reduction. I'm running a 67 inch two blade adjustable Prop which I just installed. I'm having issues in the mid range. I changed the main jets and needle positions several times. The engine runs perfect above 6000 rpm with smooth running, stable temps and RPM. If I pull the RPM's down below 5800 it will not hold RPM and will fluctuate as much as 400 rpm. This problem started when I replaced the prop from a fixed to an adjustable pitch. The old blade only turning 6250 static and 6550 max. I am now running 6350 static and 6750 max. Temps above 6000 are 1050/1050 EGT and 300/250 CHT. Anything below 5800 the temps wander a bit but nothing in the critical range.

Something tell me this prop is not jiving with this setup. The engine seemed to act better with a bit more load on it. I've considered adding a degree of pitch to see what happens.

Any advice would be appreciated. Feel free to call me at (509) 599-9477 or email me at [email protected] Aviation related only please.

Thanks
Vance
Post Falls, Idaho

Back