• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Education Needed On Propellers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lake_harley

Supporting Member
Are there any tutorials that come to mind on propeller selection and performance? Specifically, I'm curious about the effect that going from a 2 blade to a 3 blade might have. What basically are the advantages and/or disadvantages of using a 3 blade compared to a 2 blade?

I bought a couple 277 Rotax engines that came with props and a couple are 3 blade. If using one of the 3 blade of a similar diameter as a 2 blade, I'm guessing the pitch would need to be less to allow the engine to pull the RPM the 277 is designed for. What does that do in terms of performance, climb and cruise? What would be the effect of using a smaller diameter 3 blade prop with a steeper pitch? For instance I understand that a 2-blade 60X28 prop works well with a 2.58 gearbox on a 277. One of the three blade props I ended up with is only 46" Dia., if I recall correctly. How, or rather could, it be used with the 277?

The ground adjustable 2 blade GSC (or is it GCS?) I have is a 56". How would it need to be set to be similar to a 60X28?

I would be more interested in maintaining a good cruise speed, and would, to some extent, be willing to sacrifice climb performance. The plane I'm building (MiniMAX) has plenty clearance for the 60" prop, so clearance isn't a concern.

Thanks, in advance for input and/or directions to turn for education about props.

Lynn

Back