• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

277 Rotax Rebuild Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lake_harley

Supporting Member
Just in case you didn't see my similar questions in an on-going thread over in the "Ultralight" section, I was wondering about using less-expensive aftermarket parts to freshen a 277 Rotax. Needless to say, "real" Rotax parts are very expensive, but I wouldn't want to cheap out if nothing else will work properly. Sometime, in other engine rebuilding (race car engines I'm thinking of) parts need to be applied properly to work well. I can think of one brand of piston that requires a LOT of ring gap compared to other brands of pistons. Are aftermarket crankshaft seals and piston rings worth considering, to take advantage of the cost savings?

On the subject of pistons....how far out into the ring groove should the small pins that keep the rings from rotating protrude from the base of the ring groove on a Rotax, Made-In-Austria, 277 piston?

Thanks, in advance, for your experienced advice.

Lynn

Back