• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Faulty tachometer impacting igniton system ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

courtenay

Hello,

I bought about 2 months ago a KOALA FP 202 fitted with a Rotax 277, the ignition system being with a contact breaker.

I noticed that despite the engine was off the tachometer was displaying a 1000 rpm on the ground, and about 6000 rpm when flying whereas the rpm should have been 5000 rpm.

I removed this tachometer and, using the same wires, connected another one I had in spare (could not remember where I got it).
This new tachometer is giving an exact rpm (so about 5000 rpm) but the ignition is no longer running smoothling to such an extent that during last flight I really thought that the engine would die out. It did not, fortunately.

Yesterday, I switched the connection -i.e. inverted the wires- and then started the engine which was still not running well. I thus removed altogether this new tachometer, started the engine and the running of it was good !!! at least on the ground. I've not have the opportunity to test it in flight (might do it today).

Question: Do you think that a faulty tachometer could cause an ignition fault?

On Rotax manual, one can read " never use a tachometer which can cause a short-cut on the ignition system. Alternatively use a tachometer operating on the lighting coil".

Your answers are welcome.

Back