• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Marine Outboard 2 stroke exhaust question.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akwrencher

I've been reading all the old 2 stroke threads, just trolling for info and learning what others have tried. Lot's of great info from knowledgable folks! I have seen a few people mention that they have tried, or at least thought about using a marine outboard powerhead for a UL. I've kicked that idea around in my head for years. I had some general questions to throw out there.

First is, does anyone have any knowledge of the exhaust designs on outboards? I know what they look like, I'm wondering more how they stack up to a tuned exhaust. For instance, my Suzuki DT30C is three cyl. and about 500 cc, and runs 5000 to 5600 or so wot. That is pretty low hp/cc compared to a rotax, and a bit less rpm. I want to try putting a radiator, redrive and tuned exhaust on it and was hoping someone had some practical experience tunning them. I've never really modified an outboard, just run and fixed alot of them. This is a great motor though, reliable and tons of torque. I would think if you could hit around 50 hp for take off and cruise at 35 or so, it wouldn't really over tax the engine much. Any thoughts from you exhaust gurus out there?

Also, I just read somewhere, probably on another thread, about three cyl. two strokes being naturally easy to pipe with a single exhaust, any more details on that?

Back