• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cowling For 582 and Carb Ice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpelle

In considering what type of plane to build, I find myself attracted to those powered by the Rotax 582. I live in Kentucky and our summers can be quite humid, which, of course, are perfect conditions for carb ice. I notice that on many 582 installations (and those of other 2-stroke engines) that the carb air filter is left to protrude through the side of the cowling into the slipstream.

I was wondering about, instead of drawing air in from the "outside", why not simply enlarge the engine cowling - I am envisioning something of a "blister" - that would place the air filter inside the cowling so that it would draw warmer air from that surrounding the engine. Of course one would have to make sure that the cowling admitted sufficient air, but would this degrade engine performance if properly done?

It would seem to me that a recreational aircraft powered by a 2-stroke engine would likely be flown in the warmer months where the air would, at least in this part of the country, carry a lot of humidity, and raising the temperature of the induction air even a little would help to move you out of that temperature/dewpoint range where carb ice would occur.

BTW, I am thinking about an FFP Classic.

Back